Table of Contents
I’ve written cover story 2, “[Practical] Kotlin”, in WEB+DB PRESS Vol. 109. My parts are chapter 2, 3 and 5.
Cover Story 2 Content
Cover story 2 contains the followings. I wrote chapter 2, 3 and 5.
From the basic, to Spring and Java interoperation.
- Chapter 1 : Why Kotlin?
- New language which supports not only Android but also Backend development
- Advantage and disadvantage for Kotlin. Explained how to use the editor through Hello World! program.
- Chapter 2 : Basic Grammar
- Kotlin Grammar Points
- Important grammar in Kotlin. And coroutine library which is properly released with Kotlin 1.3.
- Chapter 3 : Server side development with Spring
- Complete framework introduced Kotlin DSL，null-safety
- New features in Spring 5. How to develop server side application with PorstgreSQL and Thymeleaf in Kotlin. I had wanted to use kotlinx.html, but I wrote with famous template library., Thymeleaf. I had wanted to use Kotlin for gradle, but I wrote
build.gradlein Groovy because of the readership.
- Chapter 4 : Test with JUnit＋Mockito-Kotlin
- Improve safety with Mock test
- Test frameworks which Kotlin can use. Explained how to write test in Kotlin.
- Chapter 5 : Java and Kotlin Interoperation
- Introduce Kotlin into existing Java project smoothly
- How to use Java from Kotlin, and Kotlin from Java. Class is very similar between Kotlin and Java, but be careful for extension function, top-level function, null-safety, etc. This chapter will help when you introduce Kotlin into existing Java project.
First drafts are much bigger than the capacity for all of chapter 2, 3 and 5, and I reduced them to 40 %. I prepared drafts for KDoc and dokka, too, but they were discarded because of the readership.